To all of you out there yelling and swearing at your Notes Client: There is something you can do to improve the performance! Some small changes have a great impact on startup, I/O and network speed. Here are a few tips that you should be aware of.
This is a notes.ini setting that has been introduced with Notes 8.5.2 and tells the client to update all databases to the latest ODS (On Disk Structure). The current ODS version is 51 and improves performance compared to its predecessor by 50%. This improves the client startup process and the process of opening local databases dramatically. So go ahead and add
to your notes.ini. Continue reading
I am a bit in trouble here since DDE does not work as I expect it to. I hope there is somebody out there who has a solution to my problem. So here it is:
I am writing java code in my domino database using the Java Perspective. I created a source folder under WebContent\WEB-INF and added the folder to my build path. I am using the classes and methods I coded on my XPages and they work. Now I need to code a java agent that is supposed to run every night. A lot of the methods and classes I need for my agent are already in my source folder, so I want to access the code. But there seems to be no way to import the code into my agent, is there?
I can import sources from my file system or jar files. I can import java libraries. I can import resources from my file system, but I can not add my project source folder to the agent. Switching over to the Java Perspective and opening the agent opens a new project in my Package Explorer showing the agent and all its properties. I can now add my database project to my agent project and add the source folder to it. When I build the agent project everything is fine. After I close the agent the agent project is gone and with it my settings. The same errors reappear.
Is there a way to add my sources to my agent except for copying the classes an methods to a java library and use the library in my agent? I don’t want to have source code redundant. I am kind of stuck here and need a hint or at least someone telling me that there’s no way to get what I want.
We are all waiting for Lotus Notes 8.5.3 since there is so much to come. It is supposed to be shipped in September 2011, which means that we could have it within the next 2 weeks. Regarding that there are still 3 phases to run through before web posting it might rather be the second half of September before lines are open for download.
Anyway, there are actually 887 fixes (as of today) in 8.5.3. But not all fixes are fixes. There are a lot of new features as well. Here are a few links to check what’s coming:
So, count the days!
Fixpack 3 for Lotus Notes 8.5.2 is supposed to be shipped this month. It is still in phase 1 „SPR Triangle“. The boys have to hurry to get it released this month.
On the other hand, there are not many changes to expect in this fixpack. Only 6 fixes will be included. So let’s wait for the code freeze and all following phases.
The Lotus Notes/Domino Fixpack 2 for 8.5.2 reached Gold Status and is about to be released in the next couple of days. Among many fixes there are some new functions coming with this releases. These are:
- SPR# VASR876SSW – Syntax validation was added to Recent Contacts. The following are considered invalid: (1) Any address ending in period, backslash, forwardslash, @, left angle bracket or single quote . (2) Any smtp address where address is surrounded by single quotes. (3) No spaces are allowed in 821 smtp address (the real address part) . (4) No sntp address can have a period after a top level ICCAN domain. Top level ICANN domains are .com, org, .edu, .gov, .int, .mil, .net. (5) On Notes addressing, we are not allowing a period in the organizational part. ie no tom/west.ford/ibm
- SPR# ATAI7WSABL – When a Delivery Failure report is processed, the failed address will be automatically deleted from Recent Contacts and put into Contacts Trash.
- SPR# DCHR89GT3Q – Added a policy option to enable administrators to enable or restrict the ability for Notes client users to choose „Save as eml“ under „File..Save“ options from within an email.
- SPR# GHAT8ATNCH – For 8.5.2 FP2, on conversion from local replica to Managed Mail Replica, we will now configure the existing entry with all default Managed Mail Replica settings (scheduled replication enabled, high priority enabled, send/receive full documents from the server). The Managed Mail Replica settings will be locked on the replication page, but will be editable in the „Replication Settings“ dialog. We will also prevent the disabling or deletion of the Managed Mail entry from the replication page.
The complete preliminary fixlist is already online. To check the release date go to Upcoming Releases.
Lotusphere’s top topics this year are mobile, social and web browser. One keyword is being peeped and posted these days that shows which technologies Lotus provides to support the main topics: XPages!
Did I catch your attention? Do you want to learn more about XPages and their capabilities? Then start digging deeper. The links provided below lead to valuable sources.
Wikipedia – What the heck are XPages anyway?
XPages.info – Get started, downloads and tutorials
OpenNTF – Open Source XPages projects which can be used out of the box
XPages.tv – Source for random XPages stuff
XPages Blog – XPages development and more
What does google say?
That should get you going. If you are one of those old fashioned lads who needs to hold a piece of paper in his hands. Here you go. IBM Press just released a book called „Mastering XPages: A Step-by-Step Guide to XPages Application Development and the XSP Language„.
Since lotus notes 8.x we are facing strange behaviours when updating existing applications on customer’s servers.
- The application has a default view. A couple of days after the update the client answers to certain actions that the database’s default view is missing and that the action will therefore be aborted.
- After a server-side design update users work on a semi-updated application when using their clients to open the application 0n the server, meaning that some design changes have been applied and some haven’t. The problem can be solved by removing the database from the user’s desktop and get it back on.
We saw that bevaviour on either databases with hidden design or with open design. Has anyone of you experienced similar things and can provide a solution? Is it a known bug? Is there a recipe with steps to take during an update to avoid these problems? Might it be a client or server cache problem?
Any tips and help appreciated!
I just found a very interesting article which compares performance improvements between Notes 8.0.1 on the one side and 8.0.2 or 8.5 beta on the other side. The comparison shows that Notes 8.5 beta 2 performs as good as Notes 8.0.2. I really want to know if there are any improvements left for the final release of 8.5!
Lotus released the second beta of Lotus Notes 8.5 today. You can download it here.
Prerequisite: „This site allows all users to sign in with IBM IDs and passwords, which can be used site-wide. You will need an IBM ID to continue. (If you have a PartnerWorld® or developerWorks™ user ID, that is considered your IBM ID).“