Ed Brill recently announced that IBM will ship an XPages Application Server in Q3/2011. He made this announcement in Bonn/Germany at the latest DNUG. It’s such a fantastic announcement and it made me think there will be a huge discussion starting soon after DNUG about what this server must contain or provide, what it shouldn’t and what the licencing model will be. To my surprise this discussion has not started yet (or I have missed it entirely). Anyway, here are my thoughts and wishes:
- An XPages Application Server must be an offering to win new customers which do not run a Domino environment yet
- It has to be a low price solution that can be sold as a topic to existing XPages apps
- Server administration and maintenance should be very easy
- Server licence should include unlimited user licence
- No mail and calendaring capabilities but SMTP Mail Routing to send Emails to existing mail environment
- Only web browser clients allowed (forget XPiNC!)
I am really curious what you expect from such a server. Does anyone agree or disagree with my list? Feel free to add your thoughts.